Rotherham United boss Alex Bruce has indicated that he hopes two of the club's three remaining trialists will be offered contracts at AESSEAL New York Stadium. The head coach didn't clarify who he wants to keep out of centre-half Sonny Aljofree, left-back Brandon Williams and goalkeeper Jake Turner, but he did confirm that there is movement behind the scenes.

What's Next for Rotherham United's Trial Trio?

The Millers begin their 2026/27 campaign with a home Carabao Cup clash with West Bromwich Albion on Saturday and then head to Cheltenham Town on August 15's League Two opening day. Former Manchester United first-teamer Williams, who is seeking to reignite his career after personal issues, has been with Rotherham throughout pre-season, making appearances in all seven friendlies.

Why It Matters for Rotherham United

Bruce said of 25-year-old Williams: "I think he's got better and better. We all know Brandon's had a tough few years. He needed a pre-season. I think this is the first solid pre-season he's had in a long, long time. "It was a case of us helping him and him helping us, especially when we've been short on numbers. We will make a decision on Brandon in the next week or so. Whatever happens, I'd like to think we've helped him, because he's got a good pre-season under his belt and he's in good physical condition."

What's Next for Rotherham United's Transfer Business?

The head coach has been impressed by the five-match contribution of 21-year-old Aljofree who was on loan in the fourth tier with Notts County last term. "I think Sonny's been excellent, I really do," he said. "I think he's complemented the defenders we've got in the group. We'll have to see what happens with him." Turner, aged 27, played 87 times for the Gills before becoming a free agent. He has come on as a substitute for first-choice keeper Ted Cann on four occasions. "He hasn't had a great deal to do, to be fair," Bruce said. "He's got good League Two experience."

The Millers' Recruitment Drive

The head coach had said in the aftermath of Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Derby County that he was anticipating a resolution on the trialists' fate by today. The Millers' decisions will be influenced by what else they are seeking to achieve in a recruitment drive that has so far brought nine new faces to S60. The club have bid farewell to their record signing, Sam Nombe, who is now with MK Dons, and Bruce has his fingers crossed that there will be no further exits. "Not that I know of," he said when asked if there was outside interest in any more of his players. "That suits me down to the ground. We don't want to let anyone go. "There's nothing happening in terms of outgoings yet, but, obviously, there's still a few weeks left of the transfer window, so we'll have to see what happens with that.